Contact

mail@gemini-theme.com
+ 001 0231 123 32

Info

All demo content is for sample purposes only, intended to represent a live site. Please use the RocketLauncher to install an equivalent of the demo, all images will be replaced with sample images.

Our Lady of Fatima celebrated its first Mass on Palm Sunday, April 18, 1943, as a Mission Church to St. Peter of Alcantara. For five years, a group of women called the Ladies Guild, held bazaars and fund-raising activities. The monies raised from these events went to purchase the property to build the structure that became the current Our Lady of Fatima Church at Cottonwood Road and Manorhaven Blvd.

On June 5, 1948, their dream and hard work became reality, when an administrator was named to head the new church, Rev. Joseph McGoldrick.

On July 11, 1948, Our Lady of Fatima became an official parish of the Diocese of Brooklyn.

On October 7, 1948, Thomas Molloy, Bishop of Brooklyn came to dedicate Fatima as a new Church in Manorhaven.
Over the past sixty-seven years, the church has been serving the spiritual needs of parishioners in the Port Washington/Manorhaven and surrounding communities. We are proud of our history, which is marked by strong bonds of dedication and commitment on the part of both laypersons and clergy.

Early Years

The first administrator of Our Lady of Fatima was Father Joseph McGoldrick, who cared for parishioners in the fledgling church for six years. In 1953, a new pastor, Father Leonard Pavone, transformed the warehouse across the street from the church into a Youth Center, which became today’s Parish Center. To finance additions to the church, Father Pavone established an annual festival held in the vacant area around what is now the Soundview shopping center, which continued for more than 30 years.

1960’s – 1970’s

The results of Vatican II were very much in evidence in the 1960’s and early 1970’s, when lay lectors first began reading scripture, and singing was encouraged at Mass. Fatima’s sanctuary was reconstructed, and priests began facing parishioners while celebrating Mass.

The years 1972 through 1974 were active years. In 1972, Father Dwyer retired, and Father Lawrence Ballweg was appointed to head the parish. Fatima celebrated its 25th Anniversary. The parish held a dinner dance, and Bishop Walter J. Kellenberg visited the church to share in the Silver Jubilee. Tthe Youth Center took on a new look with the creation of two classrooms to provide a better environment for the Confraternity Program. The Parish Council gave financial assistance to St. Peter’s students from Our Lady of Fatima attending that school. 21 men and women served as lectors in the parish, and a choir was in full swing. In 1975, Father Ballweg encouraged the church and the parishioners to sponsor a Vietnamese family. The church held a clothing drive in which volunteers prepared cartons of clothing for the Catholic Relief Services.

1980’s – 2000

In April 1980 Father Ballweg left the parish to assume the post of Diocesan Director of the Propagation of the Faith, and Father Kenneth Nee as welcomed as the new pastor of Our Lady of Fatima. Extraordinary Ministers began serving the Eucharist. They detached the pews from the lateral walls of the church, which created aisles that we now use during Mass. A church steeple was created. The Charismatic Prayer Group was formed, and the 9:30 am Family Mass was celebrated

Over the next 20 years, church ministries expanded and grew richer in depth and scope. The “Romans 8” Program gave parishioners the opportunity to share and reflect with others on the conversion experience of St. Paul the Apostle. A Single Parents group and a Spanish Mass formed. The custom of blessing and distributing of St. Joseph’s bread at Mass to parishioners began. An offertory procession was instituted, with the gifts of water, wine, and bread carried in procession to the altar during the Offertory of the Mass. RENEW and Faith Partners were introduced to help parishioners along in their journey of faith.

2000 – Present

Over the most recent decade, Fatima has continued to provide active, shared ministries to members of the community. From the Giving Tree program at Christmastime to tithing as part of Stewardship. Family Time to support religious education of children. Faith Partners, the annual Thanksgiving Vigil Interfaith Service, and many many others. Our Lady of Fatima Parish has played a vital role in leading people to live their faith through the Sacraments and through a commitment to support Jesus’ mission; to serve the world and one another.